Thank you for the honor of serving you.
For thirteen years on the Los Altos City Council, Planning and Historical Commissions, I have worked effectively with my colleagues, City staff, and residents on a broad range of issues. A 23-year resident, I advocate commonsense solutions in the long-term interest of the entire community, and strive to balance desired changes with preserving what is cherished.
I kept my commitments to you. I worked to manage City finances conservatively, maintain the character of residential neighborhoods, improve public safety and calm traffic, support community resources, and promote vibrant business districts.
In my second term, I continue to focus on maintaining balanced budgets and increasing reserves without cutting services. My priorities are:
- prudent fiscal policy
- safer streets
- a thriving downtown
- community resources
- neighborhood character
- a strong local economy
Listening to you and working on your behalf is my top priority: the children my husband and I raised in Los Altos are grown; my schedule as a part-time college teacher is flexible. Important progress has been made; I'm ready to build on this solid foundation. Thank you for your Vote for Val.
Top 10 Reasons to Vote for Val Again
10. As a Los Altos City Councilwoman, two-time former Mayor of Los Altos, former Los Altos Planning Commissioner, former Los Altos Historical Commission Chair, and active community volunteer, I've worked effectively with my colleagues, the city staff, and community members on a broad range of issues for twelve years.
9. As a Silicon Valley executive, I've been responsible for departmental budgets the size of the city's annual budget. I know how to set priorities and make tough trade-offs.
8. As a mother who raised her children here, I understand the needs of families for outstanding schools, safe streets, nearby parks, and recreational programs for all ages.
7. As a Stanford MBA and owner of a small business based in town, I place a high priority on conservative fiscal policies and a strong local economy.
6. As a Lifetime Girl Scout, I'm known for doing my homework and treating others with courtesy and respect.
5. I actively seek out different points of view and bring people together to share their ideas.
4. I'm a good listener and a creative problem solver who gets things done.
3. I break down complex issues into individual components, identify specific solutions for each, and build support to get them implemented.
2. I've demonstrated thoughtful leadership and dedicated commitment in addressing the issues our community faces.
1. My re-election received broad support. I was endorsed by the Los Altos Town Crier, The Daily News, and the Silicon Valley Association of REALTORS® (SILVAR). Current and former mayors, regional elected officials, commissioners, and over one hundred community members also endorsed me for re-election in November 2010.